Ha ha! Zaha for £80m?

//Ha ha! Zaha for £80m?

Ha ha! Zaha for £80m?

If Wilfried Zaha moves from Palace to Arsenal for £80m, the joke will be on the Gunners as: 1) they can’t afford the transfer fee; 2) Zaha is worth nowhere near that much; 3) Zaha is not necessarily better than Iwobi and might not get in the team; and 4) Zaha was not exactly successful last time he was at a big club (Man U), so why would it be any different this time around?

I have to say that I predicted that Zaha wouldn’t make it at Man Utd last time he made a big move from Palace and I was proved right on that occasion. I’d seen him play for the Eagles and, if I’d been scouting him, I wouldn’t have given him a rave review. In fact, if I were Arsenal, I’d only be prepared to pay around £10m for a player who may only be a squad member, should he switch allegiances.

At Selhurst Park, Zaha is a big fish in a small pond. The Palace fans love him, but it would take him time and a lot of good performances to win over the Gunners faithful.

Arsenal would be better off sticking with Iwobi and maybe using Reiss Nelson next season. To bring in Zaha, who may not offer much extra cutting edge would be senseless, particularly if that meant losing Aubameyang to Man U to fund the exorbitant fee.

In fact, selling Auba, particularly to a Premier League rival, would be one of the worst pieces of business ever conducted by the club.

The good news is Aubameyang has been pictured in the new Adidas kit, which may mean he’s staying. The bad news is Ozil was photographed also, so it seems that no-one wants to buy the misfiring, expensive German.

On the subject of Germans, whom no one wants to buy, Mustafi may be around for another season, at least, due to the lack of takers. I still think Mustafi has more to offer and he’s not reached his peak yet, so it may work out for the best. You heard it here first!

By | 2019-06-30T05:32:16+00:00 June 30th, 2019|Uncategorized|11 Comments

About the Author:

The Loose Cannon (TLC) is a labour of love set up by the former FromTheTerrace managing editor and freelance Sky News football pundit, Joe Broadfoot. I know I'm opinionated and a bit left-field, but other contributors are most welcome to send in their opinions, news pieces and so on regarding Arsenal FC for potential publication. Don't forget, if you've got something to write about Arsenal, it would be great to hear from you!

11 Comments

1. Eaglecoops June 30, 2019 at 5:45 am - Reply

Thank god you feel that way. We don’t want to lose him and you don’t want him, perfect, everyone’s a winner. Time to move on.

• Joe June 30, 2019 at 8:37 am - Reply

Thanks for your comments. I can’t deny that some of them are valid.

By the way, I said Zaha would fail at Man U at the time of the transfer, not seven years after. I get some wrong, of course, but not that one.

If he does join Arsenal, which is doubtful because of the price tag, I hope I’m wrong again.

Incidentally, I was wrong about Iwobi initially. I wouldn’t have had him anywhere near the first-team, but his performances have improved. Who can forget his goal against Chelsea in the Europa League final? Overall, Iwobi’s has had a good season, I’d say. He’s younger than Zaha and is more of a team-player in my opinion. Additionally, he’s just as unpredictable and defends better than Zaha, so that’s why I prefer Iwobi.

It’s not just sour grapes as there have been plenty of times that I wanted Arsenal to buy Palace players; it’s just Zaha is not one of them!

2. Rob June 30, 2019 at 7:51 am - Reply

So much to say about this article:

1) Yeah, Arsenal probably can’t afford him. They slip further behind the other top six teams.

2) Zaha may not be worth that much to Arsenal, but he is worth that much to Palace. The writer falls into the trap of forgetting that the selling team exist too (an easy trap for fans of the big six). Zaha’s worth to Palace is whatever it costs to stay in the Premier League, because that is the boost he is to Palace. Given the enormous financial benefits of staying in the league Zaha is worth the cost of staying up, so that is why Palace are asking what they’re asking.

3) Iwobi the same or better than Zaha? It’s an uncommon view. Not one I agree with, but fair enough thats your opinion.

4) He wasn’t particularly successful previously true, but then he returned to Palace 4 years ago, the guy has developed further. To say “why would it be any different this time around”, well because he’s a better player now who has matured.

5) You predicted Zaha wouldn’t make it big – easy to say 7 years after the move.

6) You’d only pay £10m for him – Daniel James has just been bought by Man U for £17 million. In nobodies eyes is Zaha worth less. It’s just an idiotic claim. Actually it’s a claim of a writer who reveals that actually he would want to have Zaha at Arsenal. He’s not opposed to the player but opposed to the fee. And fair enough, £80 million is a lot.

The whole article appears written as a justification to themselves that ‘oh we didn’t really need him anyway’. Written by the writer to convince the writer that the real reason Arsenal won’t be signing him is not because they can’t afford him, but because he’s not needed. To try and hide of the fact that as a club Arsenal are struggling to keep up with the other big six teams.

Struggling to accept that the other big six clubs (except Chelsea) will spend huge amounts of money this summer. Struggling to accept that even Chelsea, with a transfer ban, have still managed to spend almost all of Arsenal’s budget (£40 million). I think I’d be trying to bury my head in the sand as an Arsenal fan too, trying to hide from the fact that that Arsenal seem to be unable to keep up financially.

It’s like a child who after being told they can’t have a toy justifies not getting it by saying they didn’t really want it anyway and it’s stupid.

I agree that the loss of Auba and the purchase of Zaha would be at best a giant gamble for Arsenal and at worse a huge mistake. Coincidentally I agree about Ozil and Mustafi. Arsenal need Ozil to leave (though he’s never going to get his current wages else where so he may not be inclined to go) and Mustafi could surprise everyone. He could not, but I’d like to see him do well.

I don’t think that Arsenal should sell Auba for Zaha. Auba offers more goals and selling him would likely strengthening a rival, which would be worse. £80 million is a lot of money for Zaha and I’m not sure there’s any club actually willing to pay it, but I can see why Palace have valued him such. But then I can look at both teams in a transfer where the writer seems unable to do so.

3. Donaldo June 30, 2019 at 7:58 am - Reply

Zaha is not better than Iwobi.I gave up reading after that. Iwobi is sh**e!

4. Crispen June 30, 2019 at 8:21 am - Reply

Yes kroenke out because he doesn’t want to spend money…. At the same time Ozil out because he is getting paid too much. Makes sense
    Our problem is that park the bus Coa h of ours… Get rid

• Joe June 30, 2019 at 9:13 am - Reply

I’m still waiting to see Emery successfully park the bus. I’d like to know when he’s even attempted to do that.

Meanwhile, I certainly wouldn’t get rid of Emery. He deserves one more season at least. Given the squad he inherited, Emery did quite well in his first season by reaching the Europa League final (which Wenger failed to do in his final season) and clocking up more Premier League points than the team achieved in the last campaign.

5. tzcar June 30, 2019 at 8:24 am - Reply

typical biased cr@p. zaha as good as owobi.statistics tell u the truth.the trouble with u fans of the big six u think u know it all and have a god given right.i really hope palace shut down arsenal.who have major player problems.im glad u can,t afford new players/what about your talented youngsters,like nelson arn,t they your real future.buying over seas players without no feel for the club causes problems.this is why utd are buying young uk players.and as things stand,will finish above u come end of the season.10 m illion for zaha.live in the real world.arsenal are of the past.and with blinkered fans like u they deserve to be in the wilderness.

• Joe June 30, 2019 at 8:42 am - Reply

It’s an ubiased article. I’m just not a huge fan of Zaha, that’s all. He flatters to deceive, in my opinion. His stats are not that amazing and I don’t think he’s better than what Arsenal already have at their disposal, so why pay £80m for him?

6. Joe June 30, 2019 at 8:49 am - Reply

Gylfi Sigurðsson Everton FC Iceland 13 6 19
    Heung-min Son Tottenham Hotspur South Korea 12 6 18
    Roberto Firmino Liverpool FC Brazil 12 6 18
    Salomón Rondón Newcastle United Venezuela 11 7 18
    Marcus Rashford Manchester United England 10 6 16
    Joshua King
    All the players above have better stats than Zaha.

7. Kc June 30, 2019 at 8:57 am - Reply

It’s trash from newspapers. How could anyone trust what’s written in UK papers for the lies they purvey.

• Joe June 30, 2019 at 9:17 am - Reply

Yes, you’re probably right. I certainly don’t trust the press, that’s for sure. Often agents ‘big up’ their clients in order to get them lucrative moves and, although I’m not saying it’s happening on this occasion, there’s something strange about the ridiculous figure of £80m for a player whose goals and assists tally is not even in the top ten!